While Spotify is an excellent music streaming service, it cannot be guaranteed that you will not have any problems while using the app.
Spotify Error 17 is among the typical errors you will encounter in the Spotify app. There are a lot of reasons why this error happens including failed processes during the download process of the software.
Below is the message you will be shown with for Spotify Error Code 17:
“Error 17: Spotify has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”
In this article, we are going to discuss the various reasons why this error occurs so that you will understand the issue better before we give you the solutions on how to fix it. So, if you are interested, keep on reading!
Part 1. What are the Causes of Spotify Error Code 17?
The reason why Spotify Error Code 17 happens is not definite but based on some research, below are some possible reasons causing the issue.
- Viral infection
- Registry corruption
- Corrupt download
- Incomplete installation
- The Windows Installer service is terminated
- Country difference (There are some countries wherein Spotify is not available so if you are trying to connect from these countries, you will have limited access.)
- A foreign IP address (When you are using a VPN, Spotify can detect this and will restrict your access.)
Now, if you want to keep on enjoying listening to your favorite songs and playlists through Spotify, proceed to the solutions in the next sections.
Part 2. Solutions for Fixing Spotify Error Code 17 During Installation Process
Sometimes, you will come across Spotify Error Code 17 while installing the software. The installer suddenly encounters a problem when requires you to close the program. This causes Spotify to not install on your PC successfully.
So, to get rid of Spotify Error Code 17 while installing the app on your computer, follow the 4 solutions below.
Solution 1. Change Spotify’s Installation Path
Normally, the Spotify application is installed in the following path and this sometimes causes Spotify Error Code 17 during the app installation:
If the installation path is what is causing the issue, follow the steps below to fix the error.
- Navigate to the folder for AppData.
- Copy the Spotify folder.
- Create a new folder on a different disk. (e.g. "E:\Music\Spotify")
- Rerun Spotify’s installation files and see if this fixes your problem.
Solution 2. Remove Virus Using an Antivirus Tool
If you do not have Antivirus software installed on your PC, try to install one to remove unwanted viruses on your Windows computer. Once you have chosen an Antivirus software and installed it, run the software to start removing viruses. After doing this, check if your Spotify installer is now working properly.
Solution 3. Undo Changes using System Restore
Previous incomplete installation of the Spotify app can cause Spotify Error Code 17. An incomplete installation can configure your settings and leave bad registry entries. So, to resolve this, use the System Restore feature for Windows Vista, 7, 8, and XP users.
This tool allows you to undo your recent changes so that you can resume your PC to a previous condition before you did the installation. Just follow the steps below on how to use System Restore.
- Click on your computer’s Start
- Enter System Restore in the search box.
- Once you are in the System Restore window, select a restore point.
- Reboot your computer once the process is done to activate the changes you made.
Solution 4. Ensure that Windows Installer is Running
To see if Windows Installer is running on your computer, follow the steps below.
- Open File Explorer.
- Right-click on This PC.
- Choose Manage. This will open the Computer Management window.
- Scroll down until you find Services and Applications and click on it.
- Click Services. You will be presented with a list of services on the right panel.
- Find Windows Installer from the list and see if it is running.
Part 3. Solutions for Fixing Spotify Error Code 17 During Login
If you are encountering Spotify Error Code 17 while you are logging in to the app, this may be caused by a firewall that is blocking Spotify. You can update your firewall first and then allow Spotify.
Moreover, you can also change your proxy settings and country by following the solutions below.
Solution 1. Change Your Proxy Settings
You can try checking your proxy settings and ensure that you are not using a VPN while you log in to the Spotify application. Follow the steps below to check Spotify’s proxy settings.
- Launch the Spotify application and click on the SETTINGS option located at the login box’s bottom portion.
- Once on the settings interface, ensure that no proxy is listed. Choose No Proxy from the drop-down list on the right section.
Solution 2. Change Country
For this solution, follow the steps below.
- Proceed to the official website of Spotify.
- Log in to your Spotify account.
- Click the Profile menu at the page’s top right portion.
- Choose Account.
- Select Account Overview.
- Click Edit Profile at the bottom.
- Change the Country
- Click on Save Profile at the bottom-right corner.
Part 4. Most Recommended Solution to Fully Get Rid of Spotify Error 17
For this method, we recommend that you download and convert your desired Spotify songs using DumpMedia Spotify Music Converter instead. You can use this app to download and convert any Spotify music, playlists, or albums to MP3, M4A, WAV, and FLAC.
This tool can keep the original quality of your Spotify files. It is a powerful and high-speed Spotify converter that allows you to enjoy your Spotify music without a premium subscription. Thus, giving you free Spotify for offline listening!
Features of DumpMedia Spotify Music Converter
- Easy Removal of Spotify DRM.
- Quick Download and Conversion of Spotify Songs.
- Support For Free Offline Playback of Spotify Music on Various Devices.
- Preservation of Metadata Indo and ID3 Tags.
Aside from the above-mentioned features, DumpMedia Spotify Music Converter is also available in three languages, but we are working on adding more. You can even customize the quality of the output audio file according to your needs.
Now, to convert your multimedia files to your desired formats, follow the steps below:
- Download the DumpMedia Application
- Launch the DumpMedia Application
- Add Your Spotify Song to the Application
- Choose Your Desired Output Format & Destination Folder
- Start the Conversion Process
Below are the more detailed steps for converting your video files to your desired format using DumpMedia.
Step 1. Download the DumpMedia Application
Before you can start using the application, of course, you need to download the software first. The good news is, DumpMedia Spotify Music Converter has a free Mac version for you to try the software first before you decide on whether it is the right tool for you or not, but we assure you that you will not be disappointed with its features.
Step 2. Launch the DumpMedia Application
After downloading the DumpMedia installer, launch the application by following the steps below for Windows and macOS operating systems.
For Windows users:
Go to the Search icon (magnifying glass) beside the Windows icon in your computer’s Task Bar. Type DumpMediaon the text field. Click on the DumpMedia application on the search results.
For macOS users:
Click on the Launchpad icon in your computer’s Dock. The launchpad icon is a gray circle with a darker gray rocket at the center. Type DumpMedia on the Searchbar at the topmost part Hit the Return button on your keyboard to launch the application.
Step 3. Add Your Spotify Song to the Application
Add the URI of your Spotify song/playlist/album on the search bar or you can drag and drop your files to the application.
Step 4. Choose Your Desired Output Format & Destination Folder
Look for the Convert all tasks to text in the top right corner of the interface. Select your desired output format (FLAC, WAV, M4A, or MP3). At the bottom of the interface, click on the Browse button and browse your computer to the desired destination folder of the converted files.
Step 5. Start the Conversion Process
Click the Convert button to start the conversion of your video file. Wait for the conversion to complete.
Part 5. Wrapping It Up
Although the Spotify Error Code 17 issue is an annoying one, you can easily fix this by following the solutions we have listed above. We hope that the fixes we have compiled for you were able to fix your problem so that you can keep on enjoying listening to your favorite Spotify songs.
Also, you can use DumpMedia Spotify Music Converter to fully get rid of the Spotify Error Code 17 issue. Download your chosen Spotify playlist and songs instead and save it on your computer or mobile device without any limits. This allows you to listen and choose the songs you want to enjoy and listen to them offline.